Monday, 23 March 2015

Appreciate yourself

I've recently read about how we are constantly being judged and labelled by everyone around us, and how this effects our self-esteem or worth. 
When I was 8 years old, I had severe glandular fever. This knocked me back a lot in my education as I missed nearly a year of school. Since then I labelled myself as not being an academic person. I didn't do well in SATs, my GCSEs were okay ish and my a levels were horrific. That lead me on to doing a course in early childhood development which I loved. I don't know whether I started getting better grades because I had eliminated the fact I wasn't academic or the fact I was enjoying what I was learning about. 

This taught me that no matter what, you should never label anyone or yourself most importantly. It only limits the endless opportunities you have to personally develop and improve on any weaknesses. 

After this course, I began my degree in early childhood studies at university. This once again proved to myself that I can achieve anything if I work hard enough for it. Having said that I think that saying can put a lot of unwanted pressure on a person. Sometimes we just got to accept we aren't going to become the best doctors in the country or become a brilliant professor of physics. We know ourselves better than anyone else what we are capable of, so trust your instincts and know if you've tried your best - that's more than good enough! 

At 8, I labelled myself dumb and failed all my tests, now at 20 I'm in the process of completing a bachelor honours degree. Believe in yourself **

Please comment and let me know what you think? Did you ever have and illness which effected your self-esteem?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you x

© Travelling Through My Twenties | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Created by pipdig